I would like to see this application on Windows Phone ...

Photosynth

http://photosynth.net/capture.aspx

Photosynth is a powerful set of tools for capturing and viewing the world in 3D. You can share these views with your friends on Facebook, publish them to Bing Maps, or embed them in your own Web site

484 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Valentin StoychevValentin Stoychev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff DalyJeff Daly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very excited that this is released for Windows Phone! I can't wait to try it outside tomorrow.

• Nate LawrenceNate Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interestingly a Japanese user has recently compiled a list of 48 Windows Phone apps that use native code ( http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://nanapho.jp/archives/2012/02/only-48-windows-phone-apps-using-native-code/ ), so presumably Photosynth is also at liberty to do so as well.

This only begs the question of what the holdup is due to, though.

Important improvements that need to be made over the iOS app:

:: App needs to be able to open photosynths (not panoramas only).

:: App needs built in Photosynth.net search to find other people's panoramas and photosynths.

:: App needs built in commenting and favorite abilities when signed into your Photosynth.net account.

:: App needs to allow you to browse a Bing Map of your area to see what still needs to be photographed.

:: App needs to add support for uploading spin movie projects to Photosynth.net for processing as soon as possible.

:: App needs access to Read/Write World after they go into Beta later this year.

Дмитрий, I don't remember any quote where they said, "as soon as Mango is out".

What they did say is that the APIs that they needed should be in Mango.
        That is not the same thing as saying that their app would launch on the same day as Mango.

I share your frustration. From what I can tell, Photosynth's team seems to have run into trouble that they didn't expect in making the WinPhone app.

I don't know if it's a simple matter of needing to have the ability to run C++ code instead of C# code to make their app fast enough, like Leonard said below or some other issue.

In any case, as hard as it is for us waiting for the app, it must also be hard being on the Photosynth team too: forbidden by corporate policy to make public promises about a release date that you're not sure you can meet and constrained by the technology choices of a completely different team at Microsoft: the Windows Phone team.

From the rumors I've heard, Windows Phone 8 will probably be able to run C++ code. Hopefully the Photosynth folks aren't going to make us wait that long, but perhaps they needed something that they thought would be in Mango but didn't turn out to be. I guess time will tell if the 'Tango' updates this year will add anything important to the OS that will enable this app to finally come out.

• Hank BHank B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd say it was pathetic that this wasn't already on WP7, but I need a stronger word than that. Embarrassing? Humiliating???

• nandonando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have this Microsoft app in my Microsoft phone, or should I use Apple in order to be able to use it?

• LeonardLeonard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Terence Cassar, because photosynth is written in C++, whereas Windows PHone SDK only allows C# for third-party app. Besides, low level camera access is unavailable.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with Jeff, I don't understand why this didn't launch with Mango. Boy this would be a cool looking app in terms of what they could do regarding Metro design. I hope that it does come soon.

Feedback and Knowledge Base